Fist week of quitting I managed two 8 hour days before breaking down and smoking.
Not a fabulous accomplishment, but progress.
This is week 2. I went 34 hours.
Need to remember that forward motion tends to be choppy, not smooth, in any endeavor. Impatience has always been my bane, I want instant success and perfection.
Tried some Encouraging websites and find that they have exactly the opposite effect from what is intended.
The Tips are usually pretty lame, corny and dreadfully repetitive. "Drink a lot of water!", stuff like that. Or else they suggest Happy Little Things which all involve spending money somehow. "Treat yourself to a movie or dinner out!" Then there's the Support System bit. Has the whole world become addicted to Twelve-stepping? "Tell your family, friends and coworkers" they chirp. Yes, well, my family is much more likely to smirk and say "yeah, right, that'll be the day". My coworkers nearly all smoke so that won't help much, and anyway, when you quit something that your friends are doing they want you to 'come back' to them.
Not only that, online sites to Help You Make Changes fit a certain stereotype: good looking, well-fed, well-groomed people leering into the camera with self satisfied grins (well-dentisted also) and About Me sections detailing their Accomplished and Adventurous lives with the implication that if they can do it, so can you. Irritates the living shit out of me and makes me want to smoke more than ever. (Also, remember Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull? There's a verse in it which goes "I've come down from the upper class to mend your rotten ways" and those I Can Help You types always put that song into my head...)
Made a list of Things To Do Instead Of Smoking. It's a good list and quite a long one (much of which involves getting back to some unfinished projects) only the outdoorsy ideas are still going to have to wait a bit as the heat and humidity are back and it is forecast to rain again for the latter part of this week, not to mention that the two weeks of heavy rains we've just had produced a bumper crop of mosquitoes. I am not Tough, I like being inside with the windows open. Whoever invented bug screens gets my eternal gratitude.
Actually, given that Procrastination is one of my strongest traits, I've found that I can make it work for me here. Each time I want to smoke I tell myself, Okay, in a minute, I'll just do this first. And it does help!
Next I will examine my smoke "triggers" to see what sets me off the worst. They are emotional...I am doing okay with the merely habitual stuff.

No comments:
Post a Comment