The most interesting book. "The Most Human Human" by Brian Christian. It's about Artificial Intelligence and thinking computers and a whole lot more and was the perfect thing to have read this week on the heels of my experiences with Chatbots. The first being my terribly frustrating exchanges with Her Majesty's Passport Office, which I am now quite convinced was an answer bot and not any actual people.
Did you ever have to deal with a "crotch dog"? I imagine you have. The one which will put its nose just where you don't want it and keeps returning as you try, discreetly at first but then with increasing force, to dislodge its attention. You don't want to slap the daylights out of it because it is your friend's dog and she loves it (not to mention that it might bite you) but really you do. You want to beat the merry hell out of it.
That is exactly the impotent rage which I feel when I have to deal with a customer service computer. And sometimes it's a real person who sticks doggedly (there's the reason they call it that!) to the script and refuses to answer your question.
And on the other hand, there's my quit smoking Text bot, which checks in on me each day and asks how I'm coping. I text back with a number (1=great, 2=OK, 5=I smoked) and then it sends another message. Hang In There, that sort of thing. I know it isn't a person and it doesn't really Care, but still I feel comforted when I get the little message. Silly, I know. A cyber blankie.
Last night I forgot to take off the nicotine patch before bed and had very vivid and surreal dreams. A boat, a flood, an ex-boss and his daughter who was Miley Cyrus and she was very rude to me.
My tattoo is itching today. It went from little blisters to dark patchy places and now the ink areas seem to be shrunk, and tight. The tech said that the ink particles might feel like glitter under the skin and that's a good description of it, it's kind of crunchy feeling. I think I can see some of it starting to migrate around and lose definition.
I've begun sketching on another canvas, it has honeycomb and a bee design. I'm not committed to a bee a day yet, still thinking about what to do and waiting for inspiration to hit. But something to paint on in the meantime.
No comments:
Post a Comment