A very informative an entertaining account of Man and Hog from ancient times to modern. Living as I do in Texas, I am well aware of the history of cattle and the range wars with sheep farmers, but I'd never heard the history of pigs here. But of course, I do know how popular Bacon is!
Fascinating. I learned a lot about molluscs. It made me want to drive to the beach, but naturally, I had to go to work instead. I recommend this book, it's easy to read and very entertaining.
Of course the problem with really good library books is that I instantly want to buy those books, and then I'd have to get more shelves...
And listening. On weekends they broadcast all of my favorite shows. RadioLab, Snap Judgement, Moth Radio Hour and I like WITS and A Prairie Home Companion as well as the TED talks. What a pity my ears are only satisfied two days a week.
Long ago I used to enjoy rebroadcasts of Word Jazz (Ken Nordine) and Totally Wired, an electronic music documentary.
The only thing that spoils these excellent broadcasts is the tendency, or is it a fashion? of the presenters' voices. I hate, hate, "vocal fry". that habit of groaning when they talk. The sound is so aggravating that it distracts from what they are saying, which is a shame. Guy Raz is one of the worst offenders, and his show, apart from his horrible delivery, is very interesting.
Oh, well, I guess this just marks me as an Old Bat. Possibly the younger listeners don't notice. But talk goes in fashions just as much as clothes and music do...in her day, Betty Boop was trendy!


No comments:
Post a Comment