Because I am paid only slightly more than the minimum wage:
Because I have no college degree, live in a subsidized rent apartment and so on, the book I am reading now really resonated for me. It is called The Elegance Of The Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, a French author.
The foremost character is a concierge, uneducated, low income and of no consequence to the wealthy residents of her building, yet she loves to read philosophy and study art and contemplate beauty. (Also, she hates poor grammar.) It's really very funny and gives me lots to think about as well as a rich new list of stuff to go and look for to read in future.
I read voraciously and indiscriminately myself and possess membership cards to 4 or 5 libraries in the area. Just so I can always find one open. This week I have just finished rereading Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, then Stone Mattress, her latest, and next in the stack are Chocolate Lizards by Cole Thompson, Rabbit Redux by John Updike (only recently did I get around to Rabbit Run), just finished Lima Nights by Marie Arana (a very enjoyable novel) and am reading stories by Guy de Maupassant as well.
It is difficult to make friends and lively conversation with my co workers is an impossibility for the most part. I don't know who is on Dancing With The Stars. I have no idea who most of the celebrity names on Yahoo news are. I haven't read (or seen) Fifty Shades Of Grey. So outside of the weather report there's precious little to talk about and I have to confine myself to going "Awww" when they show me microscopic pictures of their "grandbabies" on the Smartphone.
On to the next entry.
The prompt is to make something of dots.
I'd been looking for things around the house that said "Luck" and found this ghastly cereal. It's possible I bought it just for the project because I wouldn't normally eat this crap.
Then I picked out the Alleged Marshmallows and arranged them on the carpet.
This is the sort of time when it would be handy to have a dog, for clean up.
Some bonus pictures of other "lucky" foods.
Originally posted on January 21, 2015.
My divorce Mediation session is scheduled to take place next week, having been postponed a couple of times, and if things aren't smoothed out then, court will be next year.





No comments:
Post a Comment