Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Strange Day Yesterday

While the clocks are all over the place and the calendar seems irrelevant, I am still finding myself bound to needing to know at least which day of the week it is, because of the usual tedious reason; money.
When planning to leave Texas to come here I'd hung around for an impatient week, waiting for  "the check in the mail", which had not arrived by the time I left. Applied the Post Office mail forwarding so that I could get my mail here, to take care of a (very) few things which needed my attention, then realized that some of the correspondence was going to be addressed to my formal name while other letters would come to my nickname, so put in a second request for the "other" name. So far, acknowledgement of those Change Of Addresses is the only mail I've received.
My insurance company had supposedly sent a "Snapshot Device", the application of which entitles me to a modest discount, but at the time of departure that hadn't arrived, either. I am a great admirer of the Postal System but the way things have gone over the past decade or two, they've just lost it. They simply aren't all that reliable any more. That and the fact that gigantic companies (such as the Insurance company) have so very many departments that they don't really know what they are doing half the time. This dratted box might be sitting in my mail receptacle at home, might be on its way here, may have been returned to the shipping department while the billing department is unaware of it, or (and this is the most likely explanation) they sent it to the wrong billing address. Again. So now they have removed the discount and are threatening to charge me $50 for the gadget, to boot. So much for customer loyalty. After almost ten years of doing business with Progressive, they are now charging me over $100 a month for the same coverage which last year cost $66. I'm done with them and will be shopping elsewhere for this non-insurance (it doesn't cover anything but legal permission to drive the car, making it a road tax, not an insurance product).
So anyway, I'm locked into worrying, well, being aware of, anyhow, which Day of the week it might be, waiting for mail delivery.



As the weather threatened rain again, I decided to do some tie-dying instead of painting.
It thundered and shot lightning all around me all day but in the end hardly rained actually here. What it did do however was to knock the electricity out repeatedly so that I couldn't use the clocks for timers regardless of what hour they were showing. For some reason the blue I'd mixed with purple didn't develop and so my garment ended up a disappointing shade of pale violet rather than the rich, purplish blue I'd been aiming for, and I spent the whole day on this project only to end up with a brand new pair of trousers which look as though they've been worn and laundered a thousand times. Oh, well.

Next, I opened an email recently which proved to have been an advertisement containing malware and it sent itself to my contact list and now the Yahoo won't let me access the email without signing in...but it sends the code to either the phone (which does not get a signal up here on the mountain) or the email (which, of course, I can't access without signing in) ...no way to change the compromised password without driving 15 miles to town to get a code and then 15 miles back in the hope I can enter the code into the computer before the time allowed runs out......Well, the truth is, I just don't care that much. Being out of email range is more of a blessing than a problem.  Oh, well some more.

Ate some bacon which upset my stomach and disturbed my night's sleep several times. It was tasty but I seldom eat anything that greasy. 

A weird day but then I read some thing called the Startup Brothers and although I'm not planning a startup, there's some good stuff on there about motivation and intention ...anyway, it was a good read, so here's the link. 

This morning's sky was ruddy and colorful and very pretty indeed and the coyotes were howling and yipping nearby which leads me to suppose it's going to be another rainy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment