Job hunting sucks even more than having the job, because of the rejection. Got a couple of "No" emails and my initial reaction was, naturally, "Thank Goodness", not having to go and act grateful for what I know will be poorly paid, unfulfilling work and quite likely lousy hours, too...but Lordy! it is a sinking feeling to know that somebody (or some computer algorithm more likely) doesn't find you worthy of such meager pickings.
I've got work lined up for the month of October but won't get paid till well into November (and minimum wage at that). This leaves the problem of what to live on till then.
The "check in the mail" which went AWOL in July was in fact a money order and although I informed the ex it was missing, he stalled about replacing it and still hasn't paid up. Now my reserves are dried up and there's less than $50 to live on till the middle of next month. In addition, Food Stamps sent a notice saying I have to renew by the 20th and, needless to say, that notice arrived on the 25th, so there might not be food. The free phone minutes (Lifeline! they always give 'em such cheery names, don't they?) is dependent upon being on food benefits and apparently I neglected to write some Number or other on the form, so it's Denied anyway, necessitating a purchase of minutes in order to get calls for my job search. (Side note: the point of Lifeline is supposed to be so one can always call 911 for emergency help, no matter how poor one is...while the commercials extolling it show clean, well fed grannies talking to Little Bobby about his soccer goal...anyway, it is unreliable (I use Safelink, which is TracFone's version) and I get periods of No Service daily for several hours at a time. Be sure not to have your emergencies between 9am and noon. )
So it's reapply, reapply all around. It is a full time job.
Did some internet reading about the psychology of rejection. Apparently it activates the same brain parts as physical pain, and leads to avoidance which leads to more rejection, another of those defeating circles.
All of which was why I was depressed and Googling Effects of Rejection and looking for articles which might shed some light on what the hell to do with my life next.
Stolen photo proving I am out of ideas.
Nicked from Hyperbole and a Half blog proving once again that I am just now catching up to things that are a decade out of date.
Update. While I was typing this, the mail got delivered and there was a reimbursement check in it, for a lot more than I was expecting to get. The Faith thing. "Leap and the net will appear." Saved again.

No comments:
Post a Comment