I have been a "client" of the United Way for two years now and today there was another "reunion". Since I didn't know any of the other clients and there have been a lot of replacements on the staff, reunion is a misnomer.....meeting is more accurate. I recognized one of the staff.
I'll be honest; I went because I knew they'd hand out a Valero gas card for coming. Also there was free food.
I am rather stumped about what exactly it is that they think they do for people, though.
One lady tried to make me a resume but as I hadn't worked in 15 years there wasn't anything to put on it. She typed out a paper that I could have done myself. It said the last job I had and that's all.
She sent me on one job lead. It was in the paper, I set up my own interview, filled out my own application, was stood up by the interviewer three times and didn't get the job, or a call back.
The financial guy set me up with a matched fund credit building loan. That was helpful. I made all the payments on time, got the funds, paid off a credit card debt....and my credit score has dropped.
I have gone there to the office lots of times, which cost me money, to drive, and once in a while I got a $20 gas card for showing up.
Today they gave out framed certificates to people who had worked for a significant length of time, and gave those people (I wasn't one, I found my own job, myself) gift cards to Kroger. So they've worked for a year and groceries are the reward?
Like I said, I'm rather bemused about the whole Helping thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment